[nagdu] Wanagi is retired permanently

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 03:17:44 UTC 2011

Hi Natalie, Wanagi was the white Siberian Husky I rescued from a shelter to
train as my guide so that Nala could retire. Wanagi was doing great with
her training until She was diagnosed with Valley fever and at that time it
was discovered that she had an old hip injury. I retired her then and found
Shaman, another rescue. He is a Belgian Tervuren. Shaman is a great
wheelchair guide, but not so great when I am walking as I walk way too slow
for him. I decided to start training Wanagi again as she walked slow enough
for me when I am walking and her valley fever was under control with
medication. The vet took her off the meds and she did well for a while but
the valley fever spiked again and she began coughing again and she tired
easily.I think that Wanagi will always have to be on meds for her illness
and don't feel that I should make her work when she isn't well. I will
continue to look for another husky to train as my walking guide dog.I don't
want to confuse Shaman by making him go slower when I am walking because he
needs to walk fast with my wheelchair. I know this is very confusing. My
doctor wants me to walk as much a possible to avoid getting pulmonary
embolism ( blood clots in the lungs). I walk very slowly as I have had a
spinal injury in the past and that is why I use the power wheelchair most
of the time.I have managed to survive Pulmonary embolism 3 times already.
It is caused by inactivity,so I am trying to be more active,even if I am
some what slow in walking.At least my body is moving and not just sitting
all the time. Hope that helps clear up the confusion. I am sure I will have
Shaman as my wheelchair guide for many years to come. Have a good New
year,   Mardi and Shaman.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/