[nagdu] Victim or Advocate?

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 28 18:56:22 UTC 2011

Doug,
        I would like to address your comment that there are "some folks who
simply insist on finding a way to be a victim". If what you are implying is
that those who stand up against discrimination should not do so lest they be
viewed as a whining "victim", I could not disagree more vehemently! There
once was a time when it seemed reasonable to not allow black people to sit
in the front of the bus or to allow Jews into a place of business. The
arguments seemed reasonable but the logic was flawed.
    Though your message states that the concern over zoonotic diseases -
those that can cross between species - seems reasonable, what is reasonable
and what is legal can be very different. Keeping in mind that this message
concerns the practices in a foreign country and I do not know the laws of
that country, if such a thing were to happen in the United States, the test
would be proof that the presence of a service animal poses a direct threat
to the health or safety of others that cannot be eliminated by a
modification of policies, practices, or procedures. In other words, there
would need to be scientific evidence that the threat of a zoonotic disease
is present and there is no way to eliminate that risk with the exception of
denying access to the service animal. To the best of my knowledge, such
evidence does not exist, as demonstrated by the many aquaria in the United
States that do not restrict access to service dogs. Or, perhaps, those
Bahamian sea mammals are different than the ones we have here in the United
States! I apologize for the sarcasm, but I believe what is unreasonable is
the idea that we should allow discrimination to go unconfronted.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala