[nagdu] Cant do it

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 30 04:15:41 UTC 2011

Hannah,

How you choose for yourself in this situation is of course entirely what
you choose. /smile/

The notion that your going for a guide dog that has become available
will cause every other student to just come and go as they please is,
well... Think about it. What is the supervisor saying about herself,
then? If she were a trainee and another student took time to get a guide
dog, or to attend a family emergency, or something like that, would she
then be the kind to assume that she could just skip class and go
shopping, or what?

If she's thinking that way, and taking consideration for the fact that
she is new to her job comes into play, then perhaps she could use more
training from her boss? Or perhaps her boss could clear things up for
her so that she understands the difference between going to get a guide
dog when you are accepted and just taking off on a whim?

Okay, so I've been around awhile and spent a lot of time working and
going to school and all that in the real world... Your supervisor's
assumptions are inherently demeaning, saying quite a lot about her
attitudes and so forth. What I learned -- by dint of being just
pigheaded stubborn even when I was a sweet young thing of a woman doing
a man's work -- is that you can allow such an individual to pressure you
into choices that are not what you see best for you. Or you can stick to
your guns and a realistic analysis. For me, in the work world, taking
the latter option worked out very well for me, even though I might get a
lot of heat... Until I found myself in a new position with a new title
and pay grade... Would you believe whoever tried to manipulate me or
control me somehow by making unrealistic statements and expecting me to
accept them as reasonable would be, well, kissing my posterior anatomy.
And expecting me to forget that yesterday they were dedicated to being a
pain in that same portion of my anatomy. Yeah, we are new best buddies
now! You betcha! Not! /lol/

This is a different situation, but... Discussing the matter with the
supervisor's boss seems appropriate to me and may provide a better
solution for you. If you want to break your commitment for a trip to the
Bahamas to swim with the dolphins, then you deserve to be treated like
an irresponsible young twit who needs to learn the importance of commitment.

This is not the same thing.

Sorry, couldn't resist the Bahamas and the dolphins, because I totally
want to go there and swim with the dolphins... In my imagination, guess
who is swimming there, too? /lol/ I may be a snarly old bat, but I have
not lost touch with my inner child. /grin/

Good luck to you whichever way you decide or whichever course you
choose. Only you can know in the end, and only you will experience the
results of your choices. And, as you say, there will be other dogs,
perhaps other poodles at a better time for you. If not, since you have a
choice about the poodle, they are not the end all and be all of guide
dogs... /smile/

Er... Don't tell Mitzi I said that!

Tami