[nagdu] Cant do it

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Dec 30 13:31:22 UTC 2011

Hannah,

You mentioned that the director has a guide herself and you thought
she'd understand.  Is it possible that the fact that she has a guide is
why she is encouraging you to stay?  Perhaps she feels that the long
term benefits of staying in the training center outweigh the benefit of
getting a guide immediately rather than in a few months.

I used to work at an orientation center.  The comparison to a reasonable
accommodation in an employment situation is like comparing apples and
oranges.   The month long interruption is a serious setback with
training.  It's also important to think about what would happen when you
return to the training center immediately after getting a guide.  You
would not be in your normal routine.  You would be trying to give the
new dog and the training your full attention and dedication.  Then in a
few months you will be moving and if I'm understanding things correctly
moving again in the fall to go to college.  That is a load of changes
for a new dog.

Just some more food for thought.  I hope you find the best path for
yourself.
Julie