[nagdu] Shepherd Guide Dogs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Dec 30 16:25:42 UTC 2011

I believe GDB dropped their shepherd line because so few dogs were
successful.  Like, for 100 lab puppies, 70-80 would make it to be guide
dogs and work a reasonable amount of time, but, for 100 shepherd puppies,
maybe 10-20 would make it through.  Their shepherd line also had a nervous
streak, or so I've heard.  I had one, and he didn't work out. He got way
too stressed working in New York.  Although, to be fair, my commute and
lifestyle at that time were very stressful.  But, after I retired him, I
heard other people had had similar problems with GDB sheppies, and they
weren't in New York.

I think Lyn described shepherds very well recently.  She aid they will
push the envelope, and the handler has to be ready to deal with that.

Oh, and, sorry, but you can't have a shepherd if you can't spell the
breed's name.  It's s h e p h e r d. <grin>

Good luck with your soon-to-be new dog!
Tracy