[nagdu] Jury duty

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Dec 30 21:15:24 UTC 2011

Lori,
Don't assume that the court will excuse you for your blindness.  Are you
called for county jury service in the Superior Court or the Federal Court?
they both do things differently.

Some of the things one can get a permanent excuse and to be taken off the
list is if you are elderly or have a disability that prevents you from
serving.  My sister gets excused because she is developmentally disabled and
she can't understand the proceedings in a court room.  Her blindness has no
effect on this.

Like I said, who knows what is in the minds of the lawyers when I get
excused during jury selection on any given case. The lawyers can dismiss any
potential juror for any reason and they don't have to tell you.  Maybe it is
the blindness.  Maybe I'm not handsome enough - their loss! LOL!

When I did serve as a juror and went the whole way I found it very
educational.  I think most people should do it at least once.  That
particular case ended up as a "hung jury" where we couldn't convict on the
rules and law the judge set for us.  In the courtroom, the judge is God and
we work with the law as he or she interprets it.  No democracy there!

While on this jury, I sat in the front row of jurors with my guide dog
there.  It was a female yellow Lab named Olivia.  I'm sure the defendant saw
her - he had been bitten by a police dog when he got arrested.  I got a kick
out of the fact that he was bitten by a dog and he had to sit there and see
my dog.  We were on that case for about 3 weeks and Olivia learned where the
jury enterance was located withoout my giving her commands.  What was funny
was that that dog remembered where that jury door was YEARS later when we
happened to pass that courthouse!

Lyn and Landon