[nagdu] Exemption for Private Clubs and Religious Organizations

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Dec 30 21:35:20 UTC 2011

Gee Marion, you don't want to join the KKK or Nazi Party?? LOL!

I personally have never been asked not to bring my guide dog to any club or
church I've attended in my life.  So, I was surprised to learn that certain
things are exempt from ADA.  I think I wouldn't want to go to a club or
church that banned my dog on principle.  But, if I was asked by a mosque to
come and talk to them about blindness, I'd leave my dog home because I know
that they don't believe in indoor dogs and that they aren't allowed in their
houses of worship.  I would treat it like a private home where a resident
couldn't have my dog there because of a health reason.  If I don't know the
person whose home I'm going to, I'll ask before I bring my dog.  I did this
for my Democratic Club holiday party that was held in a private home.  Turns
out he was fine about the dog - and I never did go because I was sick that
weekend.

Lyn and Landon