[nagdu] Blind-Drivable Car at Convention

Rovig, Lorraine LRovig at nfb.org
Tue Feb 1 21:58:30 UTC 2011

Dear Buddy,
It is also worth noting, in a practical sense, that from the first flight by the Wright Brothers at Kittyhawk to the first step on the moon took 50 years.  I think this trip at Daytona Racetrack is the equivelent of a Kittyhawk for a blind driver.  I wouldn't expect a Wright Brother to fly that airplane of theirs anywhere but on a closed beach until they solved a few more problems.  On the other hand, fifty years isn't so long for such a huge leap of mankind as stepping on the moon.  I expect blind drivers will be on the open roads in my lifetime.  Here is a link to more information about the Daytona trip by Mark Riccobono as found on the NFB Website:

Blind Man Drives Car Independently
The NFB announced today that for the first time a blind individual has driven a street vehicle in public without the assistance of a sighted person.  Mark Anthony Riccobono, a blind executive who directs technology, research, and education programs for the organization, was behind the wheel of a Ford Escape hybrid equipped with nonvisual technology and successfully navigated 1.5 miles of the road course section of the famed track at the Daytona International Speedway.  For more information on this historic moment, please read the digital news release with audio and video or the official press release. http://www.digitalnewsrelease.com/?q=nfb_daytona and
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=760

Lorraine Rovig