[nagdu] UK: Blind woman left lying on the ground after her guide dog was attacked

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 12:54:29 UTC 2011

Blind woman left lying on the ground after her guide dog was
attacked by an Alsatian in Little Sutton
Feb 2 2011
 by Selena O'Donnell, Ellesmere Port Pioneer, UK
A BLIND woman was knocked to the ground trying to protect her
guide dog in an unprovoked attack from an Alsatian.

Joanne Roberts, of Armthorpe Drive, Little Sutton, has called for
owners to keep their dogs on leads after her black Labrador
retriever Uska was attacked.

Mrs Roberts tried to fend off the dog but fell over and was
outraged when the owner ran off without helping her.

"The Alsatian was snarling and barking aggressively before
jumping on the back of my Uska, who was on a harness."

"I tried to kick the dog off the back of Uska but lost my balance
and fell to the floor."

The Alsatian finally let go of Uska and ran off to the other side
of the road where his owner grabbed hold of him and retrieved the
harness which he handed back.

Joanne said: "I asked his name while I struggled on the floor but
he just ran off, with his dog, and left me.

"I was distraught about my dog, who was, by then, standing
patiently by my side.

"I tried to find any wounds and an anonymous lady, with a crutch,
came over to help. She was lovely, if appalled at what she had
just witnessed."

Both Joanne and Uska escaped without serious injury but the
incident has left them shaken.

"It was like a member of my family being attacked, it's just so
upsetting.

"I don't blame the dog, I blame his owner..

"He shouldn't have been off the lead in a park in the middle of a
housing estate.

"I want people to be aware that guide dogs get attacked

Guide Dogs for the Blind Association campaign manager David
Chowdrey said: "The result of these attacks can be personally
devastating for the dog and the owner."
Source:
http://www.ellesmereportpioneer.co.uk/ellesmere-port-news/local-e
llesmere-port-news/2011/02/02/blind-woman-left-lying-on-the-groun
d-after-her-guide-dog-was-attacked-by-an-alsatian-in-little-sutto
n-55940-28096084/