[nagdu] Getting back your cane legs

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 00:51:40 UTC 2011

I had a lot more trouble adjusting from a cane to a dog, but even now it isn't too difficult for me to switch to the cane. I rarely do because the great doctor to whom I used to be married said to me before I got my first dog, "When you are getting a dog, you need to think of all the places you would rather not use it or think it would be difficult and then do it." Now I know there are places where this is inappropriate counsel, and, of course, I think he did, too, but he was saying if you are going to have a dog, use it. I miss the dog when he isn't with me much as I would miss my child, and I miss the tug on the left side. That's partly why the awkward feeling. Has anyone ever given his/her cane commands?