[nagdu] new guide dog.

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 6 01:29:21 UTC 2011

Alex,

I got my poodle from a breeder in Grants Pass, Oregon.  Mitzi was six months
old when I first heard of her, nearly 7 mnths when she arrived at my home.
/smile/  I was planning at the time for her to be a companion pet first and
foremost, as I was recovering from PTSD from an assault.  I chose a smallish
standard poodle -- she's about 50 lbs -- because I also needed to walk a lot
for physical therapy to recover from the injuries.  And, I was really,
really hoping I would get a good guide dog prospect while I was at it.   My
hopes were fulfilled!  I had always planned -- in a kinda sorta way -- to
train my own guide dog at some point, just not my first one.  Still, I'm
glad I did, and she has turned out really great -- in a poodly way --
despite my utter cluelessness about what it was I was training her for.
/smile/  I got lots of good suggestions and tips and how tos about guide dog
use from this list and more about the training parts from the owner-trainers
I met here.

Some guide dog programs have gotten good poodle lines going over the past
several years, but they're still pretty hard to get apparently, unless you
qualify by having allergies or needing a hypoallergenic dog for some reason.
So we only just got another poodle guide here, so I can finally hear someone
else say, "Well, he's a poodle, remember," and such.  /lol/

Do you know what kind of dog you will be getting yet?  What was your first
dog?

For my guide dog harnesses and such, I order from Pawpower Creations.  Since
you will get all of that from Fidelco, I don't have anything else useful to
offer.  A lot of people know where to get some really cool stuff, though, so
you should be getting plenty of places to look.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney