[nagdu] confidentiality

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Feb 6 17:10:39 UTC 2011

Jenine,

I've been thinking about this a lot.  I haven't come up with any brilliant
insights.  I do think anyone should have total and unrestricted access to
their own records from any facility, whether that is a guide dog program,
mental health provider, doctor or educational institution.  I also believe
that the person has the right to share those records with whomever they
choose.  But that brings us to the sticky part.  I don't think that third
party should be sharing that information with whomever and wherever they
feel like it, without express permission.  But that's an ethical issue, I
don't know what the legal answer would be.

At work when I have clients sign release of information forms, I specify
what the information will be used for and what I can do with it.  Along with
that release of information is a confidentiality agreement that more clearly
spells out how information is shared.

Interesting stuff
Julie