[nagdu] confidentiality

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Feb 6 18:10:58 UTC 2011

It's interesting to think about.  I'm also an advocate for a Mom who has a
blind Kiddo in public school.  We haven't ever even entertained the idea of
signing agreements or the like.  I've never asked to see records or
documentation of any sort.  Perhaps the type of advocacy makes a difference
in what sort of precautions need to be made?  Don't know, just thinking out
loud.  Mostly I'm there if she needs to vent and to attend meetings at her
request.  I find that I don't even need to say much at meetings, just my
presence makes all the difference.

I don't assist with legal issues other than to help with identifying
resources and to bounce around ideas.  I also don't directly work with any
of the places where there have been issues, I just help the Mom develop
skills to advocate for her Kiddo.  I think I might feel differently about
information sharing in this case if I did directly talk to the school or
businesses.

Maybe it all comes down to trust.  I know how I'd feel if someone I trusted
with my personal information shared that with  people I didn't want knowing.
But then again everyone has a slightly different take on what is private.

Julie