[nagdu] new guide dog.

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sun Feb 6 20:54:24 UTC 2011

Hi, Alex,

Let me say first that I'm not trying to change your mind about getting your
guide dog from Fidelco.  I just have a few comments to make about the
Fidelco contract based on my experience with Fidelco from 2001 and 2002.

The Fidelco contract which I received at the time I trained with my 2
Fidelco dogs gave the graduate the option of gaining ownership of the dog
after 6 month of successful partnership or leaving the dog in the ownership
of Fidelco.  This choice seemed pretty clear.  However, the thing that
always confused me was that, except for the checkmark in the box indicating
which ownership option the graduate chose, there didn't seem to be any
difference between the terms of the contract for those who owned the dog
versus those who left the dog in Fidelco's ownership.  For example, the
graduate still had to agree to follow Fidelco's
suggestions/recommendations/dictates regarding the brand of food that the
dog would be fed and other ways in which the dog would be managed/treated.
Fidelco still reserved the right to remove the dog if the organization felt
that the dog was not being maintained according to the advice of the
program, without having to prove neglect or abuse to any legal authority.
This seemed contradictory to me, and it seemed as if the choice of ownership
options was there purely for cosmetic/public relations value, rather than as
a true legal distinction.

As it turned out, I had to return my first Fidelco dog after just 3 months
of partnership, and I had to return my second Fidelco dog after just about a
year of partnership, well beyond the point where my choice of ownership had
supposedly gone into effect.  Both times I returned the dogs voluntarily,
but in both cases I expressed my expectation that Fidelco would include me
in planning and discussing the dogs' future placements, as I had, of course,
become very attached to each of them.  In both cases, however, once the dogs
were back in Fidelco's custody, I was not consulted nor even kept informed
as to the disposition of the dogs, and I had to go to considerable lengths
just to find out in a general way where my dogs had been placed.

I would be interested to know whether this situation with respect to the
ownership issue and its consequences has changed in the intervening years or
whether it remains essentially unchanged.  I would also like to know if
Fidelco's policies in real life have been brought more into alignment with
the ownership clause of the contract.

I just thought you might want to look at these matters before you enter the
emotionally-charged relationship with a guide dog training program and with
a living canine personality and partner.  And yes, the people at Fidelco are
nice, and perhaps you think such a situation where you would have to send
back a beloved guide could never happen to you, and if it did, of course the
Fidelco people would want to keep you in the loop as to what would happen to
your own dog.  But just remember, forewarned is forearmed, or an ounce of
prevention is worth a pound of cure, or look before you leap--or whatever
proverb you like--is still the best advice I can give you.

Best,
Ann