[nagdu] February 15, 2005

Jen&Nixon jenandnixon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 23:21:06 UTC 2011

Where does the time go?

It is hard to believe I was in the 4-week class at the Boring, Oregon campus
of Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc. six years ago!

The wait for my turn to be guided to the instructor's office seemed to feel
like *AGES*. My heart was racing. I was so nervous. My roommate was a
retrain like me, who switched schools as well. Shegot her previous dog from
TSE (The Seeing Eye). She just sat on her bed, while I paced around my dorm
room.

I was anxious to grab a harness handle again after a long wait for the right
dog to come along. I was finally going to be able to set aside my white
cane!

The morning was brutal with more "torture" of Juno walks. All of us were
tired of the rolled up rug!

I still can't believe I was even able to eat lunch despite the excitement!

My roommate got her dog before I got mine, so I had to wait even more!

One by one, each student was guided into the instructor's office to meet
their dogs.

We were stuck inside, while the sun brightly shone through all the windows.
I stared outside at the rosebush... yes, blooming in February!

The knock finally came. One of the instructors in my class, took me sighted
guide to the office.

I sat on the couch, looked around, nothing.

At this point, everything was a blur. The instructors chattered away with
Nixon's stats (height, weight, sire/dam, etc).

All of a sudden, I saw him. I gasped when I realized how *WHITE* he was. He
came straight towards me. *TROTTED* towards me, and came right to my face
and start to sniff. I rested his head in my hands, and got a good look at
him.

That dog day moment six years ago, in my instructor's office in the dorms is
something that will always stick in my mind forever.

The first day was a terrible start, but the following day, our bond started
to build. I knew after the first walk, we'd be a fine team, including the
instructor detaching the leash after a block. "you are fine, you are on your
own."

That's when we slowly flowed our way along the sidewalk of Gresham, Oregon,
never looking back from the past.

Jen and Nixon
Pampered Critters Pet and House Sitting Services
Prince George, BC
pamperedcritters at gmail.com / www.pamperedcritters.ca
<http://www.pamperedcritters.ca/>
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pamperedcritters