[nagdu] Blind man Dr Tom Pey may sue Eurostar after beingleft ontrain in Brussels

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Fri Feb 18 14:09:52 UTC 2011

Interesting.
First of all, the self-righteous attitude of our fellow blind on this list,
saying how cane skills are essential, is quite annoying.
Like it or not, blindness does present difficulties and even with a cane you
might have problems with a new subway station, etc.
A cane isn't a magic wand, it's just a stick.
Perhaps you mean orientation skills, as usual, instead of having sympathy
for someone who had problems our fellow blind cast the aspersions on the
victim. Lovely.

Something interesting though, in many countries blind folks can, from what I
understand, expect help on subways or trains from personnel.
Here, the NFB and ACB have so propagandized the fact that  blindness doesn't
mean that you need to be treated any differently that we could never expect
help like that on say a New York subway trip.

Many people from other lands are quite astonished when I tell them that you
could not have subway officials meet you at a platform, etc.

I'm not saying whether anyone should or not ask for this, but just giving a
different perspective.

Now here's a question:
The gentleman is suing Eurostar, but I wonder if he had brought his pup and
had access issues with the cabs in Brussels, would he have sued the cab
companies?

Dan W.