[nagdu] And that reminds me of the cab driver issue

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Sat Feb 19 00:12:05 UTC 2011

Sweet!

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Doug Parisian
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 6:09 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: Re: [nagdu] And that reminds me of the cab driver issue

Squeaking of cabs and such, I had gotten off an eight hour bus trip in minus

30 degree weather and wanted a cab to get home.  My dog guide at the time
was able to pick a cab if I approached any location where they usually
parked, probably due to the fact that in Winnipeg at that time, the cabs
burned Propane.  Well, that's my best guess cause he never made a mistake.

Anyway, I approached a cab and some driver indicated in seriously
questionable english that he couldn't take dogs.  Quick as lightning, I
popped open the front door, gave my 80 pound yellow lab a hand signal and he

lept in one side while the driver slithered out the other.  I followed Mr.
Dog in, closed both doors and locked him out.  Damn, with the motor running,

it really was nice and warm so I figured it appropriate to relax and light a

smoke.  The way that poor devil banged on the cab, he was probably a
professional drummer.  I let him in after about five minutes by which time
he was real good and ready to listen.  I guess the cool air suppressed his
contempt for dogs.  The driver grabbed his mike, called dispatch for police
help explaining about the dog with a handle and was ordered to drive me home

for free.

In relating this story to a friend, he indicated that what I should have
done was to hold down the mike switch since at that time, only one cab
driver at a time could communicate with the dispatcher.

Damn, that was sure fun!

Doug: no, I don't shed!