[nagdu] the dog cut me off

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Feb 20 23:26:58 UTC 2011

I would work it just as you would any other distraction.  You mentioned
using the Gentle Leader.  I'm assuming you are using a slow, steady pull on
the leash to direct the head away from the distraction.  So in this
instance, you'd need to pull to the left.  It might be easier to accomplish
pulling to the left if the leash rests on the left side of the dog's neck
instead of the right.   Or you could pull the dog's head to the right as you
step back in preparation to rework the situation.  I'm not sure how you were
taught to rework clearance errors, but in my mind if the dog is making
itself into an obstacle it becomes a clearance error. *smile*

If your leg is contacting him when he crosses over, this might be enough of
a deterrent all by itself.    Just some ideas.  I hope you can get it
figured out.

Julie