[nagdu] Cost of owning a guide dog

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Tue Feb 22 01:27:23 UTC 2011

Hi Jessica (and also Phil),

I think Jessica's statement that "a dog can find things, where a cane cannot" needs quite a bit of clarification, because it isn't exactly true or clear cut.

A cane can find things in your immediate environment. If you are, for instance, looking for the fourth sidewalk on the left, or the third door on the right, a cane will do this much more easily than a dog will. Whereas with a cane, you can shoreline and count (because the door or sidewalk or pole is right within the distance between your body and the end of your cane), you would need to make suggestive commands to your dog in order to find each door or sidewalk or pole. Sometimes, this works, and sometimes it doesn't. Depends a lot on your dog really. I find that sometimes, they try to think a few steps ahead of you. Sometimes this is a good thing. Anyway, the advantage comes once you have been to a particular destination before. Within a couple of times going somewhere, your dog will indicate that destination to you. How this is indicated, again, varies from dog to dog, and it then becomes a matter of learning your particular dog's signals. This is, again, a blessing and a curse. Many are the arguments I've had with my dog about where we were going, when he thought I wanted to go one place and I wanted to go to another. ("But we always go here! You want to go here this time." "No I don't." And so on.)

Working across wide open areas like parking lots is much easier with a dog, too. They will generally target a door, for instance, and head for it across a parking lot. Doing this with a cane is, clearly, more difficult. Walking through snow with a cane is also harder than doing so with a dog, although I wouldn't really call either one pleasant.

You certainly will have to get used to cluing into different kinds of landmarks using a dog than you used with a cane. Just a fact, and a thing you'll get used to.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY