[nagdu] Cost of owning a guide dog

PICKRELL, REBECCA M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Tue Feb 22 14:22:22 UTC 2011

I'd agree with everything that has been said here.
A few things to think about is that a guide dog needs love and attention every day. You can't not do this. I have a young family and at this point, I simply don't have the energy and time to give a dog what it needs emotionally. This is why I don't have one at the moment.
My daughter has a cold and so this morning started with her waking up very early wanting a drink and her pillow pets. Then a discussion ith my husband about whether or not she should go to school, then me determining she could, then her peeing on the floor because Diego was so entertaining she couldn't pull herself away to attend to a minor matter such as using the potty. So I had to clean that up, clean her up, get her new clothes and make sure she had what she needed for school. She's in preschool. I also had to get myself ready for work. Husband leaves before I do so can't help with any of this. We like him going to work early so this is not going to change.
Tonight will be bath night, something only I do. The energy for a dog just isn't there right now. You need to be honest with yourself about if a dog is right for you right now. While you can always make the time for one, what will you be giving up and will you be okay with that?
In terms of when a cane is better then a dog, my daughter likes to walk around just because she can. This drove my dog nuts. My dog wanted to go from a to b, my daughter wanted to just wander. The two were mutually exclusive. My kid came first because she's my daughter.
Whether or not you have the dog work everyday, the dog will always need you. The dog will never be at a point where it can make itself a sandwich, give itself a bath, or do anything to make it's physical care easier. It won't ever be able to say "my stomach hurts but if I have aproblem I can deal with it on my own". I say this so that you realize that a three-year-old dog and a twelve-year-old dog will be very much the same. You need to know and be okay with this.
I say all this not to discourage just to offer a different perspective.