[nagdu] Cost of owning a guide dog

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 22 18:22:15 UTC 2011

Tracy,

Your numbers are the rule of thumb I'm using to plan ahead for Mitzi's
retirement and replacement, barring the unexpected.  Poodles tend to be
longer lived than most other large dog breeds, so I would like for her to
work a few years longer.  Still, I will start watching for signs that she's
getting ready when she's around 9, tentatively plan to find a pup to train
when she's around 10, which will have her phasing into semi-retirement then
full retirement at around 12....

Planning for something you are convinced will never happen is a strange
thing to make yourself do.  She's going to live forever, right?  And she
will be 5 forever, right?  Why plan for another dog when I'm always going to
thave this one?  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney