[nagdu] Shock collars used on service dogs

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 22:28:26 UTC 2011

Hi every one, I have never advocated the use of shock collars until
recently. I consider it as a tool of last resort. When Shaman was attacked
by a pit bull last year, he became dog aggressive and I tried every thing to
overcome this behavior to no avail.Nick,my trainer recommended that I try a
shock collar. I had never used one and the idea sounded cruel to me. Nick
and I worked with many other positive methods and when it appeared that I
would have to retire Shaman and start all over again, well I gave in to the
use of the shock collar.After all,it had taken me over a year and a half to
find this dog and then the time spent training him and the cost of the vet
checks for hips,elbows, and eyes, the cost of training equipment and the
final harness,and I loved this dog and he loved me! His guide work was very
good.He just decided he didn't like other dogs except the ones he currently
lived with.I decided to use the collar as a last resort. I did try it on my
self first and it was uncomfortable but not near as bad as I thought it
would be. When ever Shaman tensed up and growled at another dog,I first told
him to Leave it! If he continued to growl, I pressed the shock button. He
gave a short yip and stopped the behavior. I had to do this 4 times over a
period of a week. The behavior stopped completely after that and has never
surfaced again.He works around other dogs with no problem now.I have not had
to use the collar again. Other dogs have growled and even lunged at him and
even though I felt him tense up,I just told him to leave it and he has been
fine.I make a point to have occasional meet and greet sessions with other
dogs and treats to reinforce Shaman's good behavior.He has become a
wonderful guide dog and I don't have to worry about him being aggressive
with other dogs now. I am glad I tried the shock collar, but I still reserve
it as a tool of last resort.   Mardi and Shaman and Nala,retired.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/