[nagdu] teaching dogs to ignore attention

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Mon Jan 3 14:44:52 UTC 2011

Shannon and all,

If someone has a few ideas on this subject, I'd love to hear them as well.
My Fallon, whom I've had for a year, is a pretty good guide when folks,
especially children, aren't around.  But the difference I see in her
compared with other dogs I've had is that I believe she doesn't understand
the "i'm in harness so I'm a working firl now" part of her life.  People
have told me she is really into making eye contact, so people seem to
gravitate to her.  Once people are around, I don't feel very safe with her,
and that's not a good place to be.  A TSE trainer has observed her, and you
know she was as good as gold then.  I do use a gentle leader from time to
time, and that does help.  But I'm wondering if some dogs never get the fact
that the harness is their signal to be all business.

 I hope everyone had a fabulous holiday, and your dogs, too.  Fallon got a
hedgehog which rattles, squeaks, and grunts, and it's presently the top toy
around here.  A friend of mine says that toy sounds like him when he's just
waking up (lol.)

Sherrill