[nagdu] Question about taking off work to go get a guide dog

Tonia Gatton tonton at insightbb.com
Thu Jan 6 02:02:54 UTC 2011

Hi all!  My name is Tonia and I am a long time federationist.  After
procrastinating for many years, I recently applied to get a guide dog from
the Seeing Eye.  I actually had my home visit this afternoon and I'm hoping
to go for training this spring or summer.  I'm so excited!
Anyway, my question for you guys is how you handled taking nearly 4 weeks
off work.  I work full time as a rehab teacher with a state agency; so my
employer is familiar with the process.  What I don't have a clear
understanding of though is whether or not I'll have to use my own leave for
the time I'm away at training; or, if they are required to give me some sort
of medical leave with pay.  Due to various personal health issues as well as
having to care for family members with chronic illnesses and cancer in
recent years,  I currently do not have much accumulated sick or annual
leave.  Therefore, if I had to use my own leave to go for training, I'd have
to put it off for several months in order to build up my leave balance;
especially since like most, I can not afford to take 4 weeks off without
pay.

I've heard a lot of different prospectives on the leave situation.  I'd just
like to find out from you all as to if there are any ADA guidelines
regarding this matter; and how your employer's dealt with your needing to
take time off for guide dog training.

Thanks so much!

Tonia