[nagdu] Question about taking off work to go get a guide dog

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Thu Jan 6 02:35:06 UTC 2011

Hi Tonia,

You raise an interesting question many of us have faced.  I worked at Guide
Dogs for the Blind for more than six years and even there we were presented
with this issue.  When an employee needed to get a new guide the first
inclination of HR was to charge leave.  After some discussion HR decided to
require the use of vacation time.  Most of the blind employees felt that
since using a guide dog was necessary and invaluable for travel that we
pushed back and said that getting a guide dog was like any other education
or training that an employee needed for their job.  Of course, the education
was emphasized at GDB due to the fact that the particular employee and all
of us worked there.

After further research the HR department acquiesced and in fact agreed that
obtaining a guide dog was relevant and a reasonable accommodation for its
blind employees and thus not only did not charge leave but paid regular
wages while the employee was getting a new guide dog.  The employee, for
their part, did some work during off hours.

I have heard of other employers taking this same position.  There is not, to
my knowledge, any specific law president which makes the GDB approach a
certainty, but I suggest marshaling your thoughts and forces and take the
position that this particular training and education is good for your job.
Since you are in a rehabilitation arena I would think you could make a good
case.

Mike Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
 “Speaking with Vision”
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
info at michaelhingson.com
To learn more about my upcoming book, speaking topics and speaking
availability please visit www.michaelhingson.com
Thunder Dog is now available for early ordering on Amazon!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Dog-Blind-Triumph-Ground/dp/140020304X/ref=sr_
1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289090352&sr=1-3

for info on the new KNFB Reader Mobile, visit:
http://knfbreader.michaelhingson.com