[nagdu] Outbreak of Parvo at Guide Dogs for the Blind

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 04:35:04 UTC 2011

My daughter who lives in Napa CA told me about this on the local news. This
is all I could find. I will put the link at the top, but here's the
transcript. Anyone else know any more?

http://www.livedash.com/transcript/bay_area_news_at_7/6/KICU/Thursday_January_6_2011/544195/
      >>> Guide dogs for the blind have their kennels on lockdown tonight.
      00:17:30 There was an outbreak that has been there for three decades.
      00:17:39 John sasoki reports.
      00:17:40 >> Outside the 11 acre guide dog facility was peaceful today.
      00:17:43 But ther is enity masks a battle behind -- serenity masks a
battle indoors.
      00:17:52 >>> >> Reporter: And keeping it contained.
      00:17:56 Of the 150 on sight 35 of them have come down with parvo that
attacked the digestive system damaging the ability to absorb nutrients.
      00:18:09 Guide dogceo who, himself, a guide dog user never knows where
the virus came from.
      00:18:14 >> It naturally occurs it is everywhere.
      00:18:17 The officials say they are concerned of animals that are
under four months of age.
      00:18:27 Now, that is when dogs receive their final shot.
      00:18:31 >> Reporter: At the north bay animal hospital george walter
says he has been in business since the year of the last parvo outbreak.
      00:18:38 >> I can remember in 1978 HAVING IVs HANGING FROM ALL OF
Light fixtures and everything around here.
      00:18:48 We did not save them all, I can tell you that for sure.
      00:18:52 >> Reporter: Terreesea duncan works at the guide dogs for the
blind and relies on a doing.
      00:19:01 >> I can get out in the world and do everything people others
are doing and he makes it possible for me.
      00:19:08 >> Reporter: Guide doings for the blind acknowledge they
could see more infected animals in the coming weeks.
      00:19:13

Sherri Brun, NFBF Secretary and Newsline® Coordinator
Vice-president NFB Greater Orlando Chapter
E-mail: flmom2006 at gmail.com
www.nfbnewsline.org
http://www.nfbflorida.org
http://nfbfgoc.org

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John
Lennon