[nagdu] work. school. energy and time

PICKRELL, REBECCA M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Fri Jan 7 13:44:47 UTC 2011

			Hmm, I don't know. The walking for me wasn't a problem. It was more the learning how to work with a new dog who felt different then my old dog. I found that very difficult. I think getting my first was easier because I *didn't* have those expectations.
Also, I had far more responsibilities both at home and professionally then I did the first time. When I got my first dog, I was fresh out of high school. I missed my friends and that was a big deal at the time. By the time I got my second dog, I was married, had a home and a job. I found leaving all that very difficult and being away from it very difficult, both emotionally and practically.
At this point, I wouldn't leave my job and family to get a dog. I realized when I got my second dog that my husband needs me more then we realized. And my daughter certainly needs me.
The upshot is that actually *being* home with a second dog is a lot easier. My friends and family knew that guide dogs aren't "fully trained" so they were more open to the learning curve.