[nagdu] Outbreak of Parvo at Guide Dogs for the Blind

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Jan 9 19:11:09 UTC 2011

Mike,
I understand that GDB does allow the public to enter the kennels for tours.
what precautions are being done to prevent the spread of illness to the
resident dogs and puppies there?  Do people have to step into an antiviral
and antibacterial "bath" to make sure that no viruses are on people's shoes?
Or are the public made to wear booties over their street shoes while in the
kennels? This would cut down on infectous agents from being brought into
kennels.

At TSE, the kennels for the puppies are off campus and are off limits to
public tours, period. I don't know what the practice is for the on campus
training kennels. We weren't allowed to tour these.  the employees of these
puppy kennels are required to wear protective gowns, masks, and shoe
coverings when handling the newborn puppies or in their area in the kennel.

Hope the Parvo infection leaves GDB very soon!

Lyn and Landon