[nagdu] what do you do with your dog when you go away?

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Jan 19 20:44:19 UTC 2011

Gary,

More thoughts...*smile*When I leave my dogs at home with family or for that
matter when I leave them with Boarding Lady, they are only expected to
conduct themselves in accordance with normal house rules.  They relieve in a
yard, not on leash.  They don't get walked, just exercised in the
house/yard.  No one practices obedience with them, unless it is necessary
for routine management like sitting before receiving their food.

When I'm gone for a day and the dogs stay at home with other family members,
I notice that they are pretty energetic when I get home.  Probably this is
due to less exercise and mental workouts.  When they stay with Boarding Lady
they tend to be much calmer on their return, well except for the first hour
or so. *smile*
I started working Monty full time in October of 2009.  That Christmas he
stayed with Boarding Lady for a week while I visited my parents.  When I
returned to work with him, he did require a bit of refresher training on
laying quietly under my desk.  He wanted to get up everytime someone came
into my office.   Since then when I've gone on other trips I've noticed no
difference in his behavior when I return, except that perhaps he is calmer
and more settled, especially around other dogs.  It's almost like he got to
play with other dogs which helped him not be so interested in playing when
he's supposed to be working.  Or maybe he just grew up and matured?  dunno.

Belle has been retired for something like 3? years now, but she still
remembers how to guide.  My son often walks her on leash.  He finds it
humorous that she still stops at curbs and will walk around obstacles with
plenty of room for the both of them. I don't know how long it actually takes
for a dog to forget how to guide, but I can't see it happening in one week.

Best of luck!
Julie