[nagdu] Wet floor signs

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 13:23:29 UTC 2011

My first thought was to work in a quiet place where there is a sign or to
relocate one of these signs to a convenient place where you could work.
*smile*  The way I'd do it would be to figure out how far away she is
tensing, then work just short of that click and treat.  then repeat moving
just a bit closer each time.  Then I'd move the sign or add in another and
repeat.

I don't know if you use clicker training though.  So here are some other
ideas...borrow a sign so you can have it around during happy times like
playing with toys or eating.  You could try heeling around the signs keeping
far enough away that she isn't too stressed with loads of verbal praise.
this might be tough if you are in area where things move around a lot.
There's also counter conditioning, which is just a more straightforward
pairing good things with something perceived as unpleasant to change the
association in her mind.  In this case it would involve going straight up to
a sign and giving her a treat until she associates the sign with good
things.  Really just a variation of the other suggestions.

Or I had another thought...teach her to target the signs.  So instead of
going around she would take you to the sign to show you.  You might have to
use one of the other ideas to get her over the initial nervousness, then
teach the targeting.

I've not had a dog nervous about wet floor signs, but Monty is nervous
around ladders.  No clue why.  Someday I will have to work on it. But for
now it isn't that big of a problem because we don't come across that many

HTH
Julie