[nagdu] all day in an office

Toni Whaley blind_treasurer at verizon.net
Thu Jan 27 06:05:16 UTC 2011

Julie,

I've worked in offices in a rehab agency and in a school. At the rehab
agency I met with clients in the office which was connected to the computer
room. My dogs have just stayed under the desk whether I was in the office
talking to clients or out in the computer room teaching. When I worked at
the school, I took my dog when I had to leave the floor or the building.
Otherwise, she stayed in the office whether I was in the office or just down
the hall. Most times she would stay under the desk. However, if I didn't
return by 4 p.m., she would stand in the doorway until I returned as if to
say, "Well! it's about time you showed up. It's time to go home."

In both places, I'd usually went out for lunch and took that opportunity to
relieve her.  I never had any problem with people being afraid of her or
being alergic. Nor did I have a problem with people trying to pet her.

there were   many days wehn I just went back and forth to work. I didn't
find that the dogs got bored. I thingk the dogs are much more adaptable than
we give them credit for.

Toni

It's not so much the dog I'm worried about, but the people I interact with.
I will be working with people who have committed various crimes.  Most of
them are entirely safe, sane and no problem at all to work with.  However I
am equipped with one of those emergency buttons under my desk should things
go badly.   I don't anticipate having any problems, but I'm also not so
naive to not think about all possibilities.

Monty is very good in my office.  I have no concern that he'll bother
people, wander off or snack from trash cans.  I do worry that if I work
longer hours that I'll have less energy to go and do other things in the
afternoon or evening.  I don't want his only guiding to be back and forth to

my office.  that will be boring and I'm sure he will rebel.

It's going to be an adjustment for both of us. Right now I attend meetings
and classes at various other locations, which gives both of us an
opportunity to do something different.  The new program is still in the
planning stages, but could very well end up being almost exclusively at my
desk.

Julie