[nagdu] Guide Dog Handler Bill of Rights

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 04:00:06 UTC 2011

At Blind, Inc. you are there for several months and you are learning blindness skills, which include travel with the cane, Braille, employment skills maybe, and a philosophy of blindness. So part of your training at Blind, Inc. is to go and come in a more or less normal setting. At a guide dog school you are getting to know a new dog who has been shuttled between various homes in its life, has just had its raw training, and is taking its final exams. It is learning to transition from instructor to you, and you are coming to know it and at least some of its quirks. You are there for 2-4 weeks with a rather prescribed set of skill learning, and it's mainly about the dog. And believe me, I am ready to go home but a little anxious, too. At TSE if you could come and go as you liked, you are out in the country with no public transportation to speak of. Evenings there is pretty much one instructor on duty after the first week. Sundays  you can go to church but they take you there in the vans. The first Sunday you don't take the dog; after that you can. But again, at Blind, Inc., it is a whole different deal.