[nagdu] Guide Dog Handler Bill of Rights

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:10:09 UTC 2011

As far as you are concerned emotionally, when the dog's ownership is transferred to you after a year or so, it doesn't matter. You already owned him--your heart owned him. It is an argument of principle. If you are accepted into a school after a fairly extensive application process, and if you are trained and complete the program successfully, then the dog should be your certificate of completion with no strings attached. If that is an issue, then the schools need to make their application more rigorous. You need to be able to pass a Bible exam and be fluent in Greek and Hebrew. OOPS! Wrong topic. LOL. Anyway, if you have passed their standards to get the dog in the first place, then it should be yours when you leave. If the dog doesn't work out for you, then you should have say into what becomes of it. At TSE in the first year they make an adjustment and don't charge for the second dog, but that would be like a warranty. You would need to return the dog to them in exchange for the adjustment dog. If you send the dog back after two years, you are on your own. I believe I could have decided after the two years that I would keep the dog or give him to someone who wanted him. I elected to return him in the event that evaluation of him would render him useful to someone else, and I think that may have happened. So that becomes an act of stewardship.

CL