[nagdu] NFB Convention Guide Dog Policy

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 1 01:42:53 UTC 2011

Julie,
    Let me chime in here on this, as well. what you have stated is correct.
In order to receive the rates we have, one must be registered. In the very
rare instance in which someone was banned from convention, this is how it
was handled. The individuals (it was two guide dog users in the same room)
were not allowed to register for convention. The rack rates at the hotels
where we hold convention range from $129 - 179 per night. It may be even
more at the Shingle Creek. By not being allowed to register, when the person
checks out, the registration logs are searched for at least one person
registered to the room. You can imagine the difference between $75
($63/night plus tax) and $200/night ($179 + tax)!
    BTW, as I stated, I have had the need to respond to at least 2 instances
at each convention for disruptive dogs at convention. I have only barred two
people; again, boht in the same room. When I attempted to discuss their
letting their dogs run freely in the hallway and their "F*** you!" response
to the person who asked them to not do so, I went to their room. When I
identified myself and attempted to discuss this issue with them, they
admitted to their behavior, told me there was nothing I could do about it,
and gave me the same "f*** you response as they slammed the door in my face!
Not wanting to bar them because of what might be perceived as retaliation, I
let it slide, hoping there would not be more trouble. The following day, I
was told they were letting their dogs run wild in the hallway again. I
responded and found them allowing and encouraging their dogs to run loose
and bark in the hallway. They obviously had no interest in maintaining
control over their dogs nor in the general public good.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala