[nagdu] New Zealand - Dog attack owner to face charges

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 00:24:02 UTC 2011

New Zealand - Dog attack owner to face charges

By James Ihaka 10:45 AM Friday Jul 8, 2011

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10737061

Anne Ferguson could only listen in horror as the Staffordshire-cross bull
terrier attacked her seeing eye dog Perry. Photo / Christine Cornege

Hamilton police say they'll lay charges against the owner of a
Staffordshire-cross bull terrier which attacked a seeing eye dog yesterday.

Eight-year-old golden labrador Perry was walking with his blind owner, Anne
Ferguson, and her husband, Blair, when he was set upon by what is thought to
be a Staffordshire-cross bull terrier at a shopping centre in Te Rapa
yesterday afternoon.

The attacker is understood to have been in a car but saw Perry and ran
across a carpark to attack him.

Mrs Ferguson, a Gold Coast PhD student who is visiting New Zealand on an
academic trip, could do little as the attacker latched on to Perry's head.

Her husband was bitten as he tried unsuccessfully to release the seeing eye
dog from the bull terrier's grip.

Perry, taught not to respond aggressively, stood in front of his owner as he
took a mauling.

"He has no instinct to attack or to defend himself so he didn't do anything
- his instinct was to look after me," said Mrs Ferguson.

"I remember thinking 'I can't help him'. I was thinking 'get this bloody
thing off my dog', I thought he was going to kill Perry."

The attack happened at Hamilton shopping complex The Base. Janice Vaughan,
acting manager of store Dog's Breakfast, said at first she thought the
commotion outside her shop was "a bit of fisticuffs".

"We could hear the dog barking. It was in a vehicle but obviously it took
exception to the labrador and just went for it."

Ms Vaughan said she saw the bull terrier locked on to Perry's head with Mrs
Ferguson "absolutely distraught".

"She couldn't see a thing as this dog mauled her seeing eye dog - it's such
an awful thing to happen on their holiday."

Another witness said the dogs were eventually separated before they brought
Perry and the Fergusons inside the store.

"This is this woman's eyes we are talking about - it was just horrific for
her and all of the bystanders who saw it happen. She was understandably
terrified."

She said dog control officers arrived not long after as a crowd gathered to
stop the other dog owner from leaving.

Hamilton police shift commander Craig Taylor said the bull terrier owner was
likely to be prosecuted.

He was unsure of the dog's fate.

Perry was treated by a nearby veterinarian. He has cuts around his right eye
and will be off work for at least two weeks on a course of antibiotics.

Mrs Ferguson wanted to thank the people who helped her and Perry.

She would like to come back to New Zealand but doubts Perry will be making
the return trip.

She also worries about his future.

"There's the aspect of if he gets frightened by another dog or every other
dog is a potential threat. That could mean he might not work again.

"But he's my best friend, he's my everything."