[nagdu] Guide dog Schools

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 19:43:06 UTC 2011

It should be noted that it seems that however many dogs you have had,
there is always going to be a transition period. True, it likely won't
be as long with successive as it is with a first dog, but there's
always that first 3-6 months or longer when you and your dog are
finding your rhythm and getting to know each other. There will also be
times when the dog tests you to see how much they can get away with. I
thought that there would not be much of a transition when I got my 2nd
dog 2.5 years ago, but I was wrong. The transition for me was about
4-6 months, but my guide and I did fall into the routine and a working
rhythm. In some respect, I think that there will always be a
transition with a "new" dog since each dog is different and has
different distractions. You will get to know this over time. Your
friends and family may say they are supportive, and they very well
might be. However, there will likely be times when you have to put
your foot down and limit their interaction with your dog or set some
boundaries. For instance, if your sibling decides to feed your dog
table scraps because they say, "He looked hungry," then you've got to
step up and gently but firmly correct that behavior. Anyway, give
yourself and your dog time to adjust and enjoy the ride. I've heard
that you never forget your first guide, and it seems true.

Sincerely,
Wayne Merritt