[nagdu] Guide dog Schools

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 15:19:35 UTC 2011

Well, naturally it's not 100 percent accurate. I think Wayne mentioned
that it was a service dog trainer who told him that rule, and it is more
true for the trainer of any animal than for an end user. Being both
trainer and end user, I can trace about 99 percent of Mitzi's mistakes
straight back to a single person. L'il ol' me. With the majority of
guide dogs, the raiser passes on the sum total of his/her influence on
the individual dog to the trainer, who then passes the  new sum total on
to the handler, who then gets to add her/his individual influence. So by
then it's hard to tell if some fault in the dog is just the dog being a
bonehead for some reason or if it was the raiser's fault or the
trainer's fault or the handler's... Who knows? By that time, it doesn't
matter, really, since the problem is there to be solved no matter what.

As a trainer, I appreciate rules like that because they are always a
good reminder of where the responsibility lies in the relationship
between me and whatever critter I happen to be training. It does carry
over, for me at least, into my working relationship with Mitzi, since I
am still the trainer who needs to come out and do refresher work and
give instruction to the handler to keep her on the straight and narrow,
etc. Well, Mitzi's pretty good at using operant conditioning
poodle-style to keep me from getting too far out of line.  /lol/

Another such "truism" I like and have been known to remind myself of
firmly with both Mitzi and Daisy is this one: Praise the dog; beat the
trainer. /lol/ I use that one to remind myself to be patient when I
would really like to do something about whichever dog is making me crazy
today. It's up to me to figure out how to modify the behavior on the
theory that I am smarter than the dogs... I have some serious questions
about that assumption since some of our games around the house and yard
feel a lot like wars of escalation as we all learn new ways to outsmart
each other. /lol/ Keeps me from getting bored, I guess.

Tami