[nagdu] First Time Guide Dog User

Abigail Lanier lanieraf at email.appstate.edu
Sun Jul 17 21:42:10 UTC 2011

Gloria,

First off, congratulations! Making the choice to get a guide dog is a
courageous step, I think.

My guide dog, Alexa, and I have only been together for a year and a couple
of months now (I received her from Guiding Eyes for the Blind) and she is my
first guide dog.

I don't know that anyone can necessarily prepare you or give you great
pointers on what to expect because each individuals experience during
training is different. However, there are a few general things, I guess.
  Each guide dog school is a little different, as I'm sure you've learned
while going through the application process, but typically its good to go
into this adventure with an open mind. Most guide dog schools don't place a
dog with an individual based on what preferences that person has for a dog
(i.e. breed, color, gender), but they do consider those things. As I'm sure
they will tell you, not every placement is permanent. Some times the dog you
are introduced to at first isn't always the dog you go home with. Take as
much advantage as you can from the time you will have with the trainers.
they have worked diligently with the dogs in your class for several months
and have a vast knowledge of information.
  One thing that I found particularly encouraging while I was in class with
Alexa was the advice I got from my fellow class mates. At least half of our
class was comprised of individuals who were back for their 2nd, 3rd, or even
4th dog. I was the youngest in my class, which no one failed to forget, but
I found it tremendously helpful to be able to dialogue with others on their
previous experiences and adventures with their guide dogs.

All in all, I think the best piece of advice I can give you is to go into
class with the least amount of expectations. In this way you won't have any
disappointments and will be able to get so much out of your time there.

May I ask how you came to the decision to get a guide dog?

All the best,
Abigail and Alexa