[nagdu] Discrimination

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 22:01:22 UTC 2011

Hi Gloria,

I believe you said you are going to GDB Oregon campus?

When you graduate, you will be given an ID card, and a card with the ADA as
well as any laws applicable in your state/province.  Under the ADA you are
not required to show any type of certification or ID to prove your dog is a
guide dog and people have varying views ont he pros and cons of it.  But
I've known people who have showed the ADA card and had success with that.
Also, as well as the NAGDU hotline, GDB has a couple people in grad services
who are access gurus.  I thought I knew a lot, but they taught me things I
didn't know.  I'm a GDB grad and also used to work in their admissions
department, though I don't anymore.  Either way, you have a lot of support,
both from the school, and even more importantly from the rest of us, the
community of people who also work with guide dogs.

The biggest problems I've ever had have been with taxi drivers.  Ugh.  But
you have the right to be accompanied by your guide dog in a taxi, as long as
your dog is well behaved and under control.  I don't carry my GDB ID cards
at all anymore, but I don't usually get discrimination in places like
restaurants.  Every once in a while it might be something like someone
saying you can't bring that dog in here, but I ask for a manager if there is
one and try to get it straightened out without being forced to leave--which
I've never done--or having to get the cops involved.  I do know people who
have had to do that though.

I think what Marion said is very true, that it can depend on where you live
and the nature of the population.  Even so, one of the worse cases of
trouble with a taxi happened right in San Rafael, when I worked at GDB with
a cab company that was local, knew GDB very well and had all English
speaking bay area type drivers, not drivers originally from different
cultures where dogs are not considered the lovable beings we tend to
consider them.  in that case, the driver was allergic to dogs, and he
refused to take me.  It was a weekend and I missed a hair appointment due to
it.  The dispatcher would have sent another cab, but by then I would have
been over half an hour late.  It was a truly terrible feeling to have been
refused.  Interestingly, there was something in the local ordinance that
said a cab driver could refuse a service animal if he/she had medical proof
of an allergy, but they had to wait with the customer till another cab was
sent.  After that, it never happened again, and I'm sure that since it was a
locally owned company, the dispatchers knew my address, knew I had a dog and
didn't send that driver to pick me up.

Just know that you have a lot of support out here and people who will work
with you and support you if things like this occur.  also, during your
training, you will have a lecture about access rights and issues and be
given some information on various agencies you can deal with if you have to,
things like the restaurant association, for example.

good luck and don't worry about it.

Sherry