[nagdu] job seeking and your guide dog

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Thu Jul 21 12:53:18 UTC 2011

After hearing about several people who have been asked about whether they
actually need their dogs on job sites, I'd like to ask the question and hear
from people.

Have you ever been asked by an employer or rehabilitation professional if
you need your dog in the workplace?

Has any employer or rehabilitation professional ever suggested that you
leave your dog at home for certain jobs or asked if you would take a job
requiring that your dog be left at home?

This question from a rehabilitation professional is, imho, unconscionable,
but apparently it's being asked more and more often of late. At least people
are coming forward and reporting it more often.

I do realize with an apology to all the rehabilitation professionals, that
it's about closure and finding jobs but isn't part of that process
advocating for the blind person and his or her job needs, including the
right and sometimes need to use a guide dog? This comes into play
particularly for those whose dogs do additional tasks such as balance or
alerting tasks.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com