[nagdu] extremely basic guide dog questions...

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Jul 24 17:10:26 UTC 2011

Chris,
Don't worry about a thing - you know when the dog goes.  The school teaches
you everything you need to know about dog care, pickingh up after it, how to
work it, feed it, etc.  Lots of times there are folks who have never owned a
dog so they teach you how to do all the basics.  You will leave school with
everything you need - you add more stuff as you need it after you come home
with a dog.  They teach you how to teach your dog new things specific to
your own situation.

With a dog, you don't come into much contact with things in the envirnment
as you do with a cane.  Some people like this and others do not.  With a
dog, you definately travel at a faster pace than with a cane.  With a dog,
you don't have to concentrate as hard as you travel - the dog takes you
around things and stops at the curbs and steps.  But you do have to still
pay attention.  A dog is a living, thinking being and if you ignore it it
will take things into its own paws so to speak - especially a German
shepherd!  Remember, it is a dog.

Learn all you can and pick people's brains.  Hang out with guide dog using
friends if you can so you get a real idea as to what life is like with a
dog.

Check out the schools to determine who has the program that fits your needs
the best - they do all train very similarly but there are differenceds from
school to school.

I've worked dogs sinse 1973 and have been through several programs for my
dogs.  Landon is my eighth and he's from The Seeing Eye.  He is a Lab/Golden
cross and is five years old.  We live in sunny Southern California.

Good luck to you!

Lyn and Landon