[nagdu] extremely basic guide dog questions...

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 22:01:09 UTC 2011

well, actually, the jaws command to reply to the sender instead of the list
doesn't seem to be working on this list, so I'll answer some here and give
you my email address so you can write me off list with more questions.

I got my first dog from GDB in 1975, and all my dogs have come from that
school.  I did also work in admissions there for three years, down in San
Rafael.  I've only been to the Oregon campus once or twice, and those times
were either for a graduation with my own dog or visiting a friend, so I
don't know much about it, don't remember the lay out and all.  But I do know
most of the staff there, and they are wonderful.  Also, you should know that
all the dogs are worked by blind training department staff, so you will know
when you work the dog, you're not the first blind person to handle it.  The
dogs are used to being touched, from puppy raising on up through training.
The days are very full and busy.  But you'll make friends and have a great
time.  once in a while, you might get frustrated.  That's normal and to be
expected.  you are learning so much in such a short time frame.  But
everyone is there to support you and answer questions.  If you have
questions, worries, concerns, talk to your instructors, or Kim Samco who is
a staff member up there with her own guide dog and a dear friend.

My email address is
sherriola at gfmail.com

If you would like to write me off list with more questions.  let me know who
your instructors are too.

Take care and good luck!

Sherry