[nagdu] Returned From The Seeing Eye

Robert Martin robert.martin at cfu.net
Mon Jul 25 00:30:30 UTC 2011

HI,

Late on Thursday afternoon I returned to Iowa from three and a half weeks at The Seeing Eye In New Jersey.  I am now the partner of a sixty-pound Golden Retriever named Nick who is a very mellow and exceptionally friendly dog who also seems to be a very good worker.  If I learn to be as effective as he is, we should have a wonderful partnership.  We have lots of learning and getting acquainted before us but I think we're well matched and well trained.  I was enormously impressed with the instructors and the staff at the Seeing Eye.  Like everyone I was apprehensive but quickly realized that I was in excellent hands and although I made this decision somewhat later than do most people, I do not regret it for one minute.  I will probably be calling on all of you for advice from time to time and I'm confident I will continue to benefit from the experiences of all of you.

For the moment I have one questions.  It's quite an adjustment to move from the kind of information one receives from a cane to that which one receives from a dog.  I was told   that there is sometimes a benefit from coupling the work of the dog with the occasional use of a cane to figure out what kind of obstacles  the dog is trying to cope with or to get a better sense of orientation to an unfamiliar site.  Can any of you suggest what kind of cane you may occasionally use in conjunction with your dog?  Does a good collapsible cane work well for such situations where a cane might be appropriate?  Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob