[nagdu] extremely basic guide dog questions...

PICKRELL, REBECCA M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Mon Jul 25 15:27:03 UTC 2011

I want to say that as great as dogs are, they aren't "cane but better".
They need to work whereas a cane doesn't care if you use it.
A cane makes no demands on your time or your emotions. If you break a cane, you won't care the way you will if/when your dog gets hurt or sick.

Some people don't like dogs. This may or may not matter to you, but it is something to be aware of It's fine to say "Love me, love my dog" if it's just you.  Add spouses or kids to the mix and that gets a little harder.
Retiring a dog and dealing with the death of a dog are their own levels of tears and pain.
Dogs require that you work as a functioning team. If you have the personality to do this, and you have a dog that thrives with you as a partner, it's beautiful.  If you don't, it is miserable.  It is unlike any partnership you will have, because the dog is with you so much of the time.  It can be intense because you will depend on the dog for your safety.  I've found that being a parent is in many ways easier then using a dog, because I can let other people enjoy my kid without worrying about the impact to my safety.  I found this impossible with my dogs.
Also, a dog will never get to the point where it can make itselfa sandwich or where you can reason with it.  Sounds silly to write, but is useful when making longterm plans.

I say all this not to discourage you, just to provide a different perspective should you want it.
I say all this so that you and others know that a dog isn't "cane but better". It is a very different mobility device.