[nagdu] extremely basic guide dog questions...

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 16:58:15 UTC 2011

last I knew, it was not standard to give people toileting harnesses
automatically.  There had to be a compelling reason for one.  Personally, I
would not want or accept one unless the dog had either been trained with it
and wouldn't relieve without it, or there was some other compelling reason.
I expect my dog to relieve when and where I let them, and to be able to
relieve when we are out if necessary the normal way.  my dog Olga needs more
relieving options than any previous dog, and when we were first together, I
swore about how much easier life would be with a toileting harness, but I
didn't really want one.  I learned to work with her issues and give her more
relieving opportunities when we are out.

I recommend that you address any concerns about this with your instructors.;
If you dog relieves the normal way, you don't need any extra equipment.  by
the way, there are several GDB related email lists out there.  Have you
found them, and if not, would you be interested in subscription info?  It
would give you a good idea of what is going to happen in training because
there are people on those lists who have been there multiple times, and
people who just graduated.

Sherry