[nagdu] extremely basic guide dog questions...

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 26 21:14:43 UTC 2011

Hi Gloria:

Personally, I'd ask if you really need a toiletting  harness. I can see it's usefulness but also it is another piece of  equipment that you'd have to carry around with you and it would make scheduling with your dog more rigid in my opinion. I know when I was heading off to the school the last thing I ever wanted to do was pick up my dogs little gifts as I call them. My school doesn't push people  to doing this either. So by week three of the program I was starting to worry about knowing how to do it before I went home. Bogart, who is ever helpful and smart, took an opportunity on an outing with both of my trainers around to make his move so they could show me how to find his poop and pick it up. Afgter our subway training, back in the same park, Bogart made sure I understood the concept by going to the washroom yet again. To be totally truthful it isn't a big deal. You not only get used to it but learn to read meaning into what you are picking up. For example I just switched Bogart to a new food which is lamb, duck and trout. I've noticed that his poops are much firmer and easier to pick up. I am also making the assumption that the food is agreeing with him more from that. You will develop styles based on how your dog is but don't sweat it nothing is as bad in real life as it is in our imagination. Also, it sounds like labs are much better at going on command than my snarky poodle is. Also, labs eat on a more regular schedule so the times they will most liekly need relieved are probably more consistent. Poodles, well mine anyways, are finicky  eaters so Bogart eats his supper when we do and then, just before I go to bed, I give him another serving which he eats around 4 or 5am. This way I know he has energy  for his work day. However, this means random times for picking up. this is why I work on teaching him to find the garbage and memorize every garbage can I fine. <big smile>

Gary