[nagdu] Service Dog Forced To Ride In Taxi Trunk

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Tue Jun 7 20:27:32 UTC 2011

Hi,
I agree with Margo and Tina. I really don't mean to be harsh or
judgmental, but that guide dog handler really did have a choice. I've
taken some time to try and see the situation from her point of
view,andI can't say I feel too sympathetic tward her. What was so
important that she would rather get to her destination on time than
ensure her guide dog's safety and well-being. I understand that we, as
people who are blind, get scrutinized for being late to appointments
and so on; It makes us look incompetent, irresponsible--you name it.
But the reality of the circumstance is, everyone is late for
appointments once in a while, whether sighted or blind. Not everyone
stuffs their service animal into the trunk of a taxi upon the
insistance of an ignorant cabbie. When people are late, they often give
a reason why that is so.
"A crazy cab driver tried to make me stuff my service animal in his
trunk on the way over here," is as ligitemit a reason as any.
Sure, the cabbie has a few screws in his head loose for suggesting that
a helpless animal be crammed into a car trunk, and he should be
penalized orfired.  but who is responsible for that animal's
well-being, the cabbie or the handler?
I live in Boston, andI deal with cab drivers on a regular basis. Some
of them speak very little to noEnglish, some of them hate dogs, some of
them are just plain nuts and like to try to persuade me to leave my dog
at home, and yes--put him in the trunk. there was even a lady who
flatly refused to let my pup in her cab for religious reasons and
thought that maybe I could get a rope and tie him to the back of the
car so he could follow us. Boy, did she get busted for that one!
Yes, of course the cabbie should be held accountable. But the fact is,
no matter what, the guide dog handler made herself powerless the moment
she allowed her dog to ride in that trunk. It bothers me that this
article makes her out to be the victim. She's not the true victim, her
dog is. She can address the attention of any media outlet and cry her
eyes out about how she's been mistreated and put into an awkward
situation, and the public wil shower her with kind words and sympathy.
That's great; But that dog has only her to rely on. She can't afford to
make a decision such as the one she made, because she is solely
responsible for a precious,innoscent life. I'm not trying to imply that
a guide dog handler should be flawless and unwavering, but we willingly
make the choice to take these animals into our care, therefore, we
should protect them at any cost, even if it means being late to an appointment.
Just my rambling two cents' worth.

Bernadetta