[nagdu] License revoked

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 11 08:15:30 UTC 2011

Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2011 1:55 AM
Subject: License revoked
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 1:27 PM
Examiner.com
http://www.examiner.com
Denver cabby license revoked for service-animal cruelty
By Andrea Kennedy,
Colorado Adaptive Travel Examiner
June 9th, 2011 10:22 am MT
A Colorado cab driver had his license revoked and was served a hefty fine
for forcing a blind woman to stow her seeing-eye dog in the trunk due to his
allergies.
Quoted from ABC News affiliate in Denver KMGH 7:
"Denver resident Judie Brown was confused when the cabbie told her that the
dog had to ride "in the back" of the cab because of he was allergic. When
she asked, 'Where in the back?' the driver responded 'In the trunk.'
Late for an appointment, Brown reluctantly agreed. The black lab, Alberto,
who has been Brown's service dog for four years, whined during the entire
ride in the trunk.
"It was terribly wrong," Brown said of the situation, and the law is on her
side:
Colorado state law protects service dogs and their owners, allowing them to
ride together in taxis and public transport."
According to the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA), service animals
trump all other needs (restaurant codes, health needs, pet rules), and the
ADA does not currently label allergies, or even asthma, as a disability.
While the driver has a right to protect a vehicle he likely spends most of
his waking time in, the right thing to do would have been to call another
cab.
We used to travel with a service dog from 2003-2007 and while we never
experienced discrimination like this from a cab driver, there were plenty of
instances where we had to pull out the briefing section from the ADA that
discussed service animals to prove our working dog's rights. We suggest
printing out this section and putting it in your dog's pack.
If this should happen to you, and you have time to do so, we recommend
requesting another cab driver, or calling the driver's manager.  Most
company managers will know these rights, but if they don't, always report
it.
Also, when we're traveling, we often save the names and numbers of cab
companies and drivers that have been helpful to us (or at least, not
UNhelpful) so we'd recommend also doing this to areas where you frequently
travel.  Keeping the personal card of a cab driver is good practice - often
they will go out of their way to pick up repeating patrons, and always
appreciate the reliable business.