[nagdu] conventions and dogs

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 21:28:10 UTC 2011

Hi everyone.

Thank you Jenine for those tips.  I was going to post many of them
here, but you said them so much better than I would.

I was very very nervous last year before convention.  I knew my dog
would handle the crowds fine(After all, she spent her first year
guiding working in a high school of over 2 thousand teenagers), but
she has a very sensative stomach.  I believed that if she got
stressed, I would have a problem.  Fortunately, she was a little
trooper.  She worked very well.  She played the crowds like a game
after getting used to the canes.

Just a note for those of you who have never taken your dog to a
convention: Your dog needs time to figure out what to do with all the
canes. The blind cane users(as Jenine said) cannot see the dog, so
therefore, they do not know how to get out of your way.  I've learned
the hard way that it only gets worse if the dog user in this situation
tries to move the dog or help in any other way.  I ended up getting
tangled in another person's cane.  But when I started just letting
Brie figure it out, she learned quickly.  She understood that the
people with the long white sticks were not going to move for her.
After the first 2 days, we were flying through those crowds with no
problems.

Here's another tip.  If you target elivators with your dog, do this at
convention.  Very sueful.  Sometimes there is a mad rush for the
elivators, and it feels really great to just say "elivator" and be
there ahead of everyone else.

Every dog is different.  I find that if I let my dog unwind in my room
enough, she is fine for work.  What my dog really wants during a
convention like this is sleep.

This is only my second convention though, so I'm definitely not the
expert.  I'm sure I have much to learn.