[nagdu] a cane and dog discussion

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 11:30:19 UTC 2011

I used a cane for twenty-five years before getting a dog. I was very independent with the cane; I am with the dog, though there are some times when I don't feel so. I find it a little stressful to find a place to relieve it when going to a new hotel, though I have also learned that practice makes perfect. I am beginning to find that there are places where the cane would be preferable--when the choir has sung, for instance. I don't prefer the reaction to the dogs that I get, people interrupting my discussions at dinner to ask about my dog, for instance, or speaking to the dog and not to me. I knew I would feel like this when I got the first one. I don't make it a point to practie with the cane any scheduled time because I know I don't need to, but for the first few minutes when I do use it, it is a little strange after having the dog. For a long time I felt more independent with the cane to be honest. And I know there are people who gained confidence using dogs and then that transferred to the cane, so it is just a wide variety.
Cindy